Amir A. Jamali. MD
Dr. Amir Jamali is the founder of Joint Preservation Institute. He has dedicated his career to caring for patients of all ages with joint issues ranging from cartilage lesions to advanced arthritis. He has served on the orthopedic faculty at Stanford and UC Davis, two of the top programs in the United States. At UC Davis, he introduced several new techniques including partial femoral head replacement, surgical hip dislocation, osteochondral transplantation of the femoral head, hip arthroscopy, among others.
He has pioneered new techniques in the biological treatment of joints including techniques for all biological hip and knee replacement. Patients from all over the United States seek his advice and care in the treatment of complex issues.
He established Joint Preservation Institute dedicated to the delivery of the most compassionate and technologically advanced care possible. JPI is involved in several ongoing clinical studies on the topics of hip arthroscopy, direct anterior approach total hip replacement, and cartilage repair.
In his spare time, Dr. Jamali enjoys downhill skiing, tennis, and spending time with his family.
- Medical Director and Founder, Joint Preservation Institute, Sacramento and Walnut Creek, California
- Associate Professor, UC Davis Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Assistant Professor, UC Davis Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Clinical Faculty, Stanford University Medical School/Palo Alta VA Medical Center
- Fellow and Instructor, Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital
Education and Training
2002 Fellowship, Hip Preservation Surgery,Inselspital, University of Berne, Prof. Reinhold Ganz
Professor Ganz is one of the most, if not the most innovative hip surgeon of the last 50 years.
2001-2002 Harris Fellow, Adult Reconstructive Orthopaedic Surgery and Total Joint Replacement, Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School
Dr William Harris is one of the most celebrated hip surgeons in the United States, having written over 400 papers on total hip replacement and designed many of the original hip replacements in the world. Dr Harris learned the technique of total hip replacement directly from its inventor, Dr. John Charnley. His previous fellows hold some of the most prestigious positions in the field of orthopaedic surgery.
1997-2001 Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, UC San Diego Medical Center
UC San Diego, through the 1980's to 2000's was the premier center for the treatment of cartilage in the United States with one of the largest databases of cases in the world.
1996-1997 Research Fellowship, UC San Diego Muscle Physiology Lab, Richard Lieber, Ph.D.
1995-1996 Internship, General Surgery, UC San Diego Medical Center, San Diego, California
1991-1995 M.D. with honors, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia
1988-1991 B.A. with honors, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
Licensure and Certification
- Fellow, Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Certificate of Added Qualification, Sports Medicine, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Board Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Meehan JP, Danielsen B, Kim SH, Jamali AA, White RH. Younger age is associated with a higher risk of early periprosthetic joint infection and aseptic mechanical failure after total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. Apr 2 2014;96(7):529-535.
- Jamali AA, Palestro A, Meehan JP, Sampson M. Management of incarcerating pincer-type femoroacetabular impingement with hip arthroscopy. Arthrosc Tech. Feb 2014;3(1):e155-160.
- Jamali AA, Mak W, Wang P, Tai L, Meehan JP, Lamba R. What Is Normal Femoral Head/Neck Anatomy? An Analysis of Radial CT Reconstructions in Adolescents. Clin Orthop Relat Res. Nov 2013;471(11):3581-3587.
- Nejad AH, Jamali A, Wootton-Gorges SL, Boakes JL, Ferguson TA. Symphysis pubis width in the pediatric population: A computerized tomography study. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. Oct 2012;73(4):923-927.
- Haudenschild DR, Hong E, Hatcher S, Jamali AA. Chondrogenic potential and homogeneity of cell populations of donor and recipient cells in a fresh osteochondral allograft: a case report. J Bone Joint Surg Am. Feb 1 2012;94(3):e17.
- Amanatullah DF, Jamali AA. Patellar Polyethylene Spinout After Low-contact Stress, High-congruity, Mobile-bearing Patellofemoral Arthroplasty. Orthopedics. 2012;35(2):e272-276.
- To N, Curtiss S, Neu CP, Salgado CJ, Jamali AA. Rabbit trochlear model of osteochondral allograft transplantation. Comp Med. Oct 2011;61(5):427-435.
- Perreira AC, Hunter JC, Laird T, Jamali AA. Multilevel measurement of acetabular version using 3-D CT-generated models: implications for hip preservation surgery. Clin Orthop Relat Res. Feb 2011;469(2):552-561.
- Meehan JP, Danielsen B, Tancredi DJ, Kim S, Jamali AA, White RH. A population-based comparison of the incidence of adverse outcomes after simultaneous-bilateral and staged-bilateral total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. Dec 7 2011;93(23):2203-2213.
- Kuo CC, Bosque J, Meehan JP, Jamali AA. Computer-assisted navigation of total knee arthroplasty for osteoarthritis in a patient with severe posttraumatic femoral deformity. J Arthroplasty. Sep 2011;26(6):976 e917-920.
- Kim S, Bosque J, Meehan JP, Jamali A, Marder R. Increase in outpatient knee arthroscopy in the United States: a comparison of National Surveys of Ambulatory Surgery, 1996 and 2006. J Bone Joint Surg Am. Jun 1 2011;93(11):994-1000.
- Antkowiak TT, Polage CR, Wiedeman JA, Meehan JP, Jamali AA. Chondrolysis of the tibial plateau caused by articular aspergillosis after ACL autograft reconstruction: management with a fresh osteochondral allograft: a case report. J Bone Joint Surg Am. Nov 2 2011;93(21):e1241-1246.
- Amanatullah DF, Meehan JP, Cullen AB, Kim SH, Jamali AA. Intermediate-Term Radiographic and Patient Outcomes in Revision Hip Arthroplasty With a Modular Calcar Design and Porous Plasma Coating. J Arthroplasty. Apr 14 2011.
- Zochowski CG, Salgado CJ, Jamali AA. Extensive muscle necrosis and infection following treatment of a lower extremity vascular malformation with Sotradecol and absolute ethanol. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. Jul 2010;21(5):480-486.
- Yu K, Meehan JP, Fritz A, Jamali AA. Osteochondroma of the femoral neck: a rare cause of sciatic nerve compression. Orthopedics. Aug 2010;33(8).
- Leslie MP, Jamali A, Wolinsky P. Treatment of Femoral Head Fractures. Techniques in Orthopaedics. 2010;25(3):155-159.
- Kim S, Meehan J, Jamali AA. Changes in Medicare diagnosis related group (DRG) system for primary and revision hip and knee replacements and their implications on hospital reimbursement. Current Ortho Practice. March/April 2010;21(2):120-125.
- Jamali AA, Fritz AT, Reddy D, Meehan JP. Minimally invasive bone grafting of cysts of the femoral head and acetabulum in femoroacetabular impingement: arthroscopic technique and case presentation. Arthroscopy. Feb 2010;26(2):279-285.
- Fritz AT, Reddy D, Meehan JP, Jamali AA. Femoral neck exostosis, a manifestation of cam/pincer combined femoroacetabular impingement. Arthroscopy. Jan 2010;26(1):121-127.
- Salgado CJ, Jamali AA, Ortiz JA, et al. Effects of hyperbaric oxygen on the replanted extremity subjected to prolonged warm ischaemia. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. Mar 23 2009.
- Ryan JA, Jamali AA, Bargar WL. Accuracy of Computer Navigation for Acetabular Component Placement in THA. Clin Orthop Relat Res. Jul 24 2009.
- Patel M, Rojavin Y, Jamali AA, Wasielewski SJ, Salgado CJ. Animal models for the study of osteomyelitis. Semin Plast Surg. May 2009;23(2):148-154.
- Meehan JP, Khadder MA, Jamali AA, Trauner KB. Closing wedge retrotubercular tibial osteotomy and TKA for posttraumatic osteoarthritis with angular deformity. Orthopedics. May 2009;32(5):360.
- Meehan JP, Jamali AA, Ryan JA. Pantaloon hip spica cast and constrained liner for the treatment of early total hip dislocation in a young patient with sickle cell disease. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). Dec 2009;38(12):E184-186.
- Meehan J, Jamali AA, Nguyen H. Prophylactic antibiotics in hip and knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. Oct 2009;91(10):2480-2490.
- Jamali AA, Scott RD, Rubash HE, Freiberg AA. Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty: past, present, and future. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). Jan 2009;38(1):17-23.
- Jamali AA. Digital templating and preoperative deformity analysis with standard imaging software. Clin Orthop Relat Res. Oct 2009;467(10):2695-2704.
- Gogia JS, Meehan JP, Di Cesare PE, Jamali AA. Local antibiotic therapy in osteomyelitis. Semin Plast Surg. May 2009;23(2):100-107.
- Deuel CR, Jamali AA, Stover SM, Hazelwood SJ. Alterations in femoral strain following hip resurfacing and total hip replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Br. Jan 2009;91(1):124-130.
- Bargar WL, Jamali AA, Nejad AH. Femoral Anteversion in THA and its Lack of Correlation with Native Acetabular Anteversion. Clin Orthop Relat Res. Aug 28 2009.
- Pham AM, Rafii AA, Metzger MC, Jamali A, Strong EB. Computer modeling and intraoperative navigation in maxillofacial surgery. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. Oct 2007;137(4):624-631.
- Jamali AA, Mladenov K, Meyer DC, et al. Anteroposterior pelvic radiographs to assess acetabular retroversion: high validity of the "cross-over-sign". J Orthop Res. Jun 2007;25(6):758-765.
- Jamali AA, Lee MA, Donthineni R, Meehan JP. Minimally invasive management of a floating prosthesis injury with locking plates. J Arthroplasty. Sep 2007;22(6):928-933.
- Jamali AA, Hatcher SL, You Z. Donor cell survival in a fresh osteochondral allograft at twenty-nine years. A case report. J Bone Joint Surg Am. Jan 2007;89(1):166-169.
- Jamali AA, Deuel C, Perreira A, Salgado CJ, Hunter JC, Strong EB. Linear and angular measurements of computer-generated models: are they accurate, valid, and reliable? Comput Aided Surg. Sep 2007;12(5):278-285.
- Emmerson BC, Gortz S, Jamali AA, Chung C, Amiel D, Bugbee WD. Fresh osteochondral allografting in the treatment of osteochondritis dissecans of the femoral condyle. Am J Sports Med. Jun 2007;35(6):907-914.
- Schimizzi AL, Jamali AA, Herbst KD, Pedowitz RA. Acute compartment syndrome due to ruptured Baker cyst after nonsurgical management of an anterior cruciate ligament tear: a case report. Am J Sports Med. Apr 2006;34(4):657-660.
- Salgado CJ, Mardini S, Jamali AA, Ortiz J, Gonzales R, Chen HC. Muscle versus nonmuscle flaps in the reconstruction of chronic osteomyelitis defects. Plast Reconstr Surg. Nov 2006;118(6):1401-1411.
- Jamali AA, Lozynsky AJ, Harris WH. The effect of surface finish and of vertical ribs on the stability of a cemented femoral stem: an in vitro stair climbing test. J Arthroplasty. Jan 2006;21(1):122-128.
- Salgado CJ, Jamali AA, Mardini S, Buchanan K, Veit B. A model for chronic osteomyelitis using Staphylococcus aureus in goats. Clin Orthop Relat Res. Jul 2005(436):246-250.
- Jamali AA, Scott RD. Lateral Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty. Techniques in Knee Surgery. 2005;4(2):79-88.
- Jamali AA, Emmerson BC, Chung C, Convery FR, Bugbee WD. Fresh osteochondral allografts: results in the patellofemoral joint. Clin Orthop Relat Res. Aug 2005(437):176-185.
- Jamali AA, Dungy DS, Mark A, Schule S, Harris WH. Isolated acetabular revision with use of the Harris-Galante Cementless Component. Study with intermediate-term follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Am. Aug 2004;86-A(8):1690-1697.
- Kim CW, Jamali A, Tontz W, Jr., Convery FR, Brage ME, Bugbee W. Treatment of post-traumatic ankle arthrosis with bipolar tibiotalar osteochondral shell allografts. Foot Ankle Int. Dec 2002;23(12):1091-1102.
- Jamali AA, Afshar P, Abrams RA, Lieber RL. Differential expression of neural cell adhesion molecule (NCAM) after tenotomy in rabbit skeletal muscle. J Orthop Res. Mar 2002;20(2):364-369.
- Jamali A, Suggs J, Freiberg A, Rubash H. Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty. The Orthopaedic Journal at Harvard Medical School. 2002;4:131.
- Jamali A, Hilpert A, Debes J, Afshar P, Rahban S, Holmes R. Hydroxyapatite/calcium carbonate (HA/CC) vs. plaster of Paris: a histomorphometric and radiographic study in a rabbit tibial defect model. Calcif Tissue Int. Aug 2002;71(2):172-178.
- Jamali AA, Afshar P, Abrams RA, Lieber RL. Skeletal muscle response to tenotomy. Muscle Nerve. Jun 2000;23(6):851-862.
- Abrams RA, Tsai AM, Watson B, Jamali A, Lieber RL. Skeletal muscle recovery after tenotomy and 7-day delayed muscle length restoration. Muscle Nerve. May 2000;23(5):707-714.
United States Patents
- US 8187336 B2
- Device and method for reconstruction of osseous skeletal defects
- US 8236343 B2
- Method and apparatus for in situ drug delivery during distraction osteogenesis
- US 8439921 B2
- Device and method for allograft total hip arthroplasty
- US 8419739 B2
- Method and apparatus for allograft disc transplantation
Joint Preservation Institute
130 La Casa Via, Building 2
Walnut Creek, CA, 94598
- Fax: (925) 322-2911
Joint Preservation Institute
2825 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95816
- Fax: (916) 492-2111