Your everyday routine can have a significant impact on the health and longevity of your joints. Although there is no diet cure for arthritis, certain foods have been shown to fight inflammation, strengthen bones and boost the immune system.
Adding these foods to your balanced diet may help ease the symptoms of your arthritis. If you have been experiencing joint pain, these superfoods can optimize healthy tissue regeneration. Many studies show that certain foods, spices, and supplements can improve joint health.
5 Foods for Joints Health Include:
- Fatty fish such as salmon, sardine, and mackerel contain omega-3 fatty acids that have anti-inflammatory properties and reduce joint pain and stiffness. They also contain vitamin D, which helps strengthen bones.Two servings per week can be beneficial for joint health.
- Garlic has been shown to have an anti-inflammatory effect that may help decrease symptoms of arthritis. Adding garlic to your diet can improve your arthritis symptoms and overall health.
- Brassica Vegetables contain a substance called sulforaphane which may block the formation of cells that cause rheumatoid arthritis. Leafy greens like mustard greens, arugula, kale, and purple cabbage are in the brassica family.
- Ginger can also help ease the symptoms of arthritis. Consuming ginger in fresh, powdered or dried form may reduce inflammation and reduce arthritis symptoms.
- Berries such as strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries are loaded with plenty of arthritis-fighting nutrients. Blueberries are high in anthocyanins – one of the most potent flavonoids. Particular fruits like certain vegetables are more effective than others in reducing inflammation in the body.
Diet can play a significant role in arthritis severity and symptoms. Eating various foods with powerful components may offer relief from inflammation and arthritis while promoting overall health.
As surgeon and physician, the health of my patients is a top priority. Eating healthy can improve bone health and allow my patients to live an active lifestyle.
Amir Jamali, MD
Dr. Amir Jamali, founder of the Joint Preservation Institute, specializes in exceptional one-on-one orthopedic care of the shoulder, hip and knee using the latest technology, including regenerative medicine with biologics. With his involvement in clinical trials and research at UC Davis, UCSF, and UC Berkeley, Dr. Jamali has pioneered new techniques in the biological treatment of hip, knee and shoulder joints.