Kinematic Total Knee Replacement
Total knee replacement is an excellent procedure for patients who have advanced arthritis in all three parts of the knee. Traditionally, this procedure has been performed with the goal of aligning the implants perpendicular to the hip, knee, and ankle axis. More recently, a new method for aligning the knee replacement has been developed. This is called the kinematic alignment technique and we believe that it holds great promise for achieving a fully stable knee replacement and a more natural feeling knee than the mechanical alignment technique.
- Insall JN, Binazzi R, Soudry M, Mestriner LA. Total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. Jan-Feb 1985(192):13-22.
- Moreland JR, Bassett LW, Hanker GJ. Radiographic analysis of the axial alignment of the lower extremity. J Bone Joint Surg Am. Jun 1987;69(5):745-749.
- Berend ME, Ritter MA, Meding JB, et al. Tibial component failure mechanisms in total knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. Nov 2004(428):26-34.
- Eckhoff DG, Bach JM, Spitzer VM, et al. Three-dimensional mechanics, kinematics, and morphology of the knee viewed in virtual reality. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005;87 Suppl 2:71-80.
- Shakespeare D. Conventional instruments in total knee replacement: what should we do with them? Knee. Jan 2006;13(1):1-6.
- Cooke TD, Sled EA, Scudamore RA. Frontal plane knee alignment: a call for standardized measurement. J Rheumatol. Sep 2007;34(9):1796-1801.
- Jamali AA, Deuel C, Perreira A, Salgado CJ, Hunter JC, Strong EB. Linear and angular measurements of computer-generated models: are they accurate, valid, and reliable? Comput Aided Surg. Sep 2007;12(5):278-285.
- Hungerford DS. Measured resection: a valuable tool in TKA. Orthopedics. Sep 2008;31(9):941-942.
- Sikorski JM. Alignment in total knee replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Br. Sep 2008;90(9):1121-1127.
- Fang DM, Ritter MA, Davis KE. Coronal alignment in total knee arthroplasty: just how important is it? J Arthroplasty. Sep 2009;24(6 Suppl):39-43.
- Hunter DJ, Sharma L, Skaife T. Alignment and osteoarthritis of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg Am. Feb 2009;91 Suppl 1:85-89.
- Parratte S, Pagnano MW, Trousdale RT, Berry DJ. Effect of postoperative mechanical axis alignment on the fifteen-year survival of modern, cemented total knee replacements. J Bone Joint Surg Am. Sep 15 2010;92(12):2143-2149.
- Bellemans J, Colyn W, Vandenneucker H, Victor J. The Chitranjan Ranawat Award: Is Neutral Mechanical Alignment Normal for All Patients?: The Concept of Constitutional Varus. Clin Orthop Relat Res. Jun 9 2011.
- Dossett HG, Swartz GJ, Estrada NA, LeFevre GW, Kwasman BG. Kinematically versus mechanically aligned total knee arthroplasty. Orthopedics. Feb 2012;35(2):e160-169.
- Howell SM, Howell SJ, Kuznik KT, Cohen J, Hull ML. Does a kinematically aligned total knee arthroplasty restore function without failure regardless of alignment category? Clin Orthop Relat Res. Mar 2013;471(3):1000-1007.
- Howell SM, Papadopoulos S, Kuznik KT, Hull ML. Accurate alignment and high function after kinematically aligned TKA performed with generic instruments. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. Oct 2013;21(10):2271-2280.
- Ritter MA, Davis KE, Davis P, et al. Preoperative malalignment increases risk of failure after total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. Jan 16 2013;95(2):126-131.